Diabetes National Institute is first and foremost a growing campaign against diabetes and a community effort to enrich the lives of people with diabetes. Our mission is to provide free services and create a warm and supportive atmosphere where people with diabetes, their families, and the public can engage, learn, and build a greater understanding of diabetes.
Donate through Paypal:
Please click on the image above or button below to help through PayPal
For Workplace Giving:
Please click on CFC image to donate through CFC
Individual with Disabilities Act (IDEA)
What is it?
A Federal law that requires states to provide a "free, appropriate public education" to children with disabilities so that they can be educated to the greatest extent possible along with all other children.
There are 2 goals of IDEA:
1. To provide a child with any required assistance to remain caught up with schoolwork that the child missed because he/she was involved with diabetes care, or had difficulty understanding because he/she was experiencing high or low blood sugar.
2. To keep the child safe and maintain an optimal learning environment by providing means to keep his or her blood sugar levels in the best control possible.
Who is Covered?
IDEA ONLY applies to children with specific disabilities. A child with Diabetes is covered if he/she needs special education and related services in order to benefit from an education. The diabetes must make it more difficult for the child to learn.
What schoools does IDEA apply to?
1. Special Education: An education program that is specifically designd to meet the child's unique needs.
2. Related Services: Services needed to help the child benefit from Special Education.
3. Least Restrictive Environment: Children with disabilities must be educated with other children as much as possible.
What does the school have to do?